this church finds its roots in the American Revolution when in
1773 a Presbyterian mission was established by the Bethlehem
Church to witness to the "needy" and "sinful"
inner-city of Newburgh.
Being a mission outreach of Bethlehem Church, aligned
with the church of New Windsor and the
"Marlborough Society," they became a Presbyterian
Society on July 12, 1784. The group met in the former Army
Clothing Warehouse at First and Montgomery Streets and became
First Presbyterian. In
1793 a colonial wooden church was built on the burned-down
site. The Pastor preached standing on a bench and members
brought stools, crates and benches. In 1817 the 100 members
installed pews "for rent."
members withdrew in 1855 to organize Calvary (1856). The
original group kept "First Presbyterian" for their
name. Calvary built a red brick church on Liberty Street,
next to where First Methodist is today. The First
Presbyterians engaged architect, Frederick.C. Withers to design
our present building (see the
On Thanksgiving Day, 1858, the (debt-free) $45,000 structure was
dedicated. The edifice immediately drew international
brought reunion of our split Churches. We kept the
"Calvary" name and this place of worship, meeting, study